Monday 1 September 2014

34 week pregnancy update

34 weeks pregnant
Top-Bottom, L-R - Proof that Squidge is indeed a boy, our pram arrived (Graco Evo travel system), Matilda trying to eat some of my baby shower balloon, Mani from the weekend (OPI Suzi and the 7 Dussledorfs with the Max Factor fantasy fire top coat), the nursery progress - walls painted soft sage green and the laminate floor in, the Mamas & Papas equivalent of the Bumboo - thinking of getting this

MY WEEK
Well, you'd better grab a cuppa, it's been a big week!  Ready? Right, I had an appointment to see the diabetic nurse at the antenatal clinic on Tuesday (only seeing her) due to my blood sugar readings not being quite perfect.  Got there, waited about 2 hrs and then I was called in for a scan (wasn't expecting this), Squidge had turned to head down (whoop), his legs and head are still measuring a couple weeks ahead, but this time so is his abdomen (not great).  Fluid levels had dropped a smidge too, but not enough to concern them (yay).

Then I was called in to see a Dr, she talked to me about my thyroid issues, had a feel of my tummy and listened to the baby's heartbeat (aww).  She dropped a bombshell on me - that they're going to induce me at 38 weeks - this is for 2 reasons.  1) Because I'm diabetic, and 2) because his abdomen is starting to grow ahead of where it should be (thanks to the gestational diabetes).

Then I saw a consultant about my diabetes, he still wasn't quite ready to put me on tablets and wanted a blood test done and to see me back in 2 weeks.  After all that, I was there for 4.5 hrs!!!

Knowing that I'm likely to have Squidge early, I've brought my maternity leave and annual leave forwards by 2 weeks, which means I only have a few days left in work (Mon - Weds this week, and just Mon and Tues next week).

So you might say it's been an eventful week!

SYMPTOMS
HUNGER! The pregnancy hunger has finally found me! But I haven't really eaten any more than I normally would (whoop), I'm just hungrier - if I eat more, it'll mess with my blood sugars more, so I have to be really careful (boo).  I had a massive craving at the weekend for meat, big greasy burgers, bacon and sausages (not good considering I'm vegetarian!) - so instead, for dinner I had a plate of Quorn (protein) and a little salad - it seems to have got rid of my craving, I suspected it was more of a protein craving than anything else and I think I was right.

Pregnancy insomnia has found me too - more on this below.  Had the same amount of heartburn as usual.  We've also discovered that Squidge's routine is to have 1 quiet day every 7-10 days, well Saturday was the quiet day, and even though I know it's his routine it's still worrying.  But don't worry, Sunday he didn't stop wriggling all day! :)

SLEEP
So yeah, pregnancy insomnia.  Basically, I get really tired throughout the day, and in the evening I get really restless and when that happens, the only thing I can do is go to bed.  If I don't immediately fall asleep (not likely) then I get really restless again and a little itchy, then it takes me hours to get to sleep - and it's very interrupted sleep (needing to get up to wee or just waking up lots).

DIET & WEIGHT
Weight is the same as last week, so about 3 quarters of a stone lighter than when I got pregnant.  Diet is good, here's a typical food diary:
Breakfast: Fruit salad and greek yoghurt with a flat teaspoon of truvia.
Lunch: Cheese wholemeal sandwich, packet of Quavers and a can of diet pop.
Dinner: Quorn salad, or wholemeal pasta, or new potatoes with veg and quorn.
All in all pretty healthy - I'm just craving variety, and because I've been watching GBBO I've been wanting to bake again, but I daren't otherwise I'd be too tempted to eat my creations!

NEXT APPOINTMENT
Thursday 4th November - just a midwife appointment - but they gave me strict instructions that if I'm not seen at the hospital at weeks 32, 34, 36, 38, 40 & 41 then I must make a midwife appointment on those weeks.  Hence this appointment.

BABY STUFF
Well, the nursery is coming along in leaps and bounds (hubby is fitting the beading to the floor as I type this) - during the week the furniture will be assembled and arranged, and all the baby stuff brought back from the in-laws and put away (can't wait for that bit).  Don't worry - I'll do a big post with lots of pics on what the nursery looks like :)

The pram turned up too, so that's all assembled and ready to go.  We also picked up a couple of bits at the Asda baby and toddler event - bought some Johnsons sleepy bath wash and baby oil (I plan to bathe Squidge in the evening - subject to change!), a big tub of Sudocrem (this was super cheap at just £4) and some Infacol.

I also placed a good Mothercare order, I think I'll do a separate post on this for you on Weds :)

Still to do/buy:
Pack my hospital bag (I'm gathering stuff for it at the moment)
Go to Mothercare and see if the car seat base for our car seat will fit in the car - if yes, buy it
Buy a chest of drawers from IKEA for Squidge (Hemnes - 3 drawer unit)
I'm sure there's loads more and my mind has gone blank :P

I bet you're glad you got that cup of tea now!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your updates (: I can't wait to see what the nursery looks like (: xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely :) The post for that will probably be up in a week or two :D

      Delete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved