Wednesday 24 September 2014

The Nursery

The nursery has been a long work in progress.  It used to be our computer room where we both had a desk, where my large makeup collection was housed, and 2 bookshelves full of books and games. A few weeks ago we started clearing the room.  We moved the hubby's computer & desk downstairs into the lounge, gave my desk away, and moved the bookshelves downstairs (needless to say, our lounge is now very cluttered - we could really do with a bigger house).

Once the room was empty, we picked out some paint - Dulux Tuscan Glade 5 - it really doesn't show up well in these pictures, but in real life this is what it looks like.

Dulux tuscan glade 5
Our in-laws came over and kindly painted the room for us, then the next day they came over and fitted the wooden floor for us too, amazing!  Once that was done, progress was quite quick, we were able to put the furniture together and start filling it with baby stuff.  I still haven't managed to get all his clothes washed, but quite a lot of them are.

This pic is from the doorway (with the door on the left).  The cot is right in front, with the chest of drawers on the right and the changing table in the far corner to the side of the window.

The whole nursery
This is looking at the cot straight on - don't worry - that blanket won't be staying on when Squidge first sleeps in the cot, this is for when he's older, but I thought it was super cute and would look lovely in the couple of months before he sleeps in his room.
Full view of the cot
I didn't think there was room for a chair in the room - this is my old desk/computer chair.  But when the room was done, I was convinced I could fit in the corner.  Yeah there's not much room, but there's enough room to sit there and feed Squidge which is where I intend to go for the night feeds.  We just need to get a digital radio for the room for those night feeds.
Nursing chair and pregnancy pillow
This is why the change table is in front of the window, just to the side, so when I'm cleaning his poopy nappies, this is the lovely view I get (Caerphilly Mountain - it doesn't look crazy big as we're half way up it).
The view from the window
The change table - this was from Mothercare and is now discontinued.  The change mat I picked up from Boots.  And to the side is the Tommee Tippee Sangenic nappy bin for his poopy nappies, and maybe wee ones.  I have been quite disappointed with the Mothercare change table though - the quality really isn't very good - the drawers are very stiff and stick a lot, and the bottom one takes a lot of effort to get open.  I'm hoping they soften up with use, but I fear they're just badly made and expensive.
Mothercare change table
The cute light shade we bought for the room - we picked this up from B&Q and cost about £20 (there abouts).
B&Q lamp shade with owls and birds
We also fitted a couple of shelves above the chest of drawers, we matched the colour of them so they were similar to the floor and we've put lots of his toys up there - these will eventually be his to play with once he's the right age for them (some of which he will be straight away).
B&Q shelves with toys
His cot mobile - I bought this from Mothercare when it was half price (£12.50 instead of £25) - it had great reviews, one of the things people loved about it is that it's wind up.  It plays music and rotates, very cute and I love it.
Mothercare cot mobile
A collection of his teddy bears in the cot - two of which are lovely Jellycat toys - a Giraffe and his Bedtime bunny.  The blanket is from IKEA -with little woodland creatures on it, so cute!
The cot
His chest of drawers, FULL of clothes and bedding etc - these are from IKEA and are the Hemnes ones, the white glossy set (about £100).  Compare these to the Mothercare change table, and these are fantastically made - the drawers open smoothly and shut easily, with no effort - worlds apart from the change table!
IKEA Hemnes chest of drawers


And finally, his hospital bag all packed (we're having one each).  There's about 14 nappies in there, a pack of Waitrose baby wipes, a teddy bear and a range of babygrows, socks, hats and scratch mittens, and his going home outfit.
baby change bag packed for hospital

So there you have it - his nursery is finally complete!  The only thing left to do is for me to create a couple of paintings for his room and then put them up.  We were thinking about getting a rug for the room initially, but I don't think it needs one and in all honesty, there isn't really room for one.

It's a shame the camera didn't pick up the colours on the walls that well, but you can see in the swatch at the top just how pretty the colour is.  I didn't want to go for the typical 'blue' for a boy, same as the room wouldn't have been pink if we were having a girl.  I love that this is an earthy green, it reminds me of the woods, pixies and nature.


Don't forget to follow my blog with Bloglovin for regular updates :)

14 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so lovely. It is so exciting that soon there will be a much loved baby in this lovely home. We were lodging with my mum when Danny was born, the three of us squeezed into my childhood single room so never got to do the Nursery thing. I bet you keep going in there- I would! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire :) I know, it's crazy to think it's nearly time for him :) So exciting! Eek that must have been a squeeze! Yeah I do keep wondering in there and looking around - I've reached the point where I can't really wash anymore of his clothes though as the upstairs is a bit of a building site, what with the bathroom being done and I don't want any of his stuff or the nursery getting dusty

      Delete
  2. Oh wow you are so organised and prepared, love the colour of the walls - such a beautiful nursery - how exciting :)

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovey - yeah I'm in love with the colour of the walls, so pretty!

      Delete
  3. I love it Georg, some great inspiration for mine! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely, he's a very lucky boy! I love the wall colour and that you've gone for something other than blue and the little hedgehogs on his blanket are so adorable! Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice :) Yeah - I wanted to do something a little different, and I fell in love with that green :) Yeah I love the hedgehogs, and they're eating strawberries!

      Delete
  5. That colour is so gorgeous! I love it! That's crap about the changing unit. I hate it when stuff is just poorly made. It's a lovely room. I wandered in and out of our nursery all the time before Iris was born, getting excited about it! x

    ps: you live really near me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I love it :D Yeah, disappointed with the change unit, especially as it was £170, that's not cheap. Yeah it's so lovely spending time in there :) Ooh I'll have a look at your blog to see where you're based :D

      Delete
  6. I love it, it looks perfect! The mobile is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zena - yeah I love the mobile, it's super cute :)

      Delete
  7. So cute :) I'm very envious that you've managed to fit a chair in there... We can't fit one in ours so can't work how I'll do nightfeeds when he's in his own room :/
    Also gutted your changing table isn't great, as you know we've got the same one and ours is good... Sturdy and smooth drawers! They must have some quality control issues! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we were really lucky with the chair, it's a bit of a squeeze but it does fit :) I'm planning on doing night feeds in there so I don't keep Chris too awake, we'll see what the reality is like though :) Yeah, it's really disappointing with the change table - I'm glad yours is good and that it's not a dodgy one - if they still made them I'd think about complaining, but the room is also done now and I really can't be bothered with more furniture assembly :P

      Delete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved