Thursday 18 September 2014

First week of maternity leave

Week 1 on maternity leave
L-R, Top-Bottom - Me at the Benefit event (after getting my hair cut) getting my brows blinged, my gel nail manicure, Matilda enjoying the tidy conservatory, my purchases and goodies from my day in town.

It's hard to believe it's now been a week since I started my maternity leave (well, technically I'm still on annual leave, but lets not split hairs).  While I won't be doing weekly updates on what I've been up to, I thought I might to begin with since it's totally new to me, and I'm curious if my first week of leave is similar to how you spent your first week off.

Wednesday (10th)
This was a pretty simple day for me, I spent the day chilling out, watching films (including WALL-E of course) and putting my feet up.

Thursday (11th)
This was a really busy day for me.  Got up in the morning, had a shower and washed my hair - then about 10:30 my in-laws popped over to take me to Topps Tiles to buy the tiles for our bathroom (we're having it redone next week).  We went to Wicks first (terrible selection) then B&Q (good selection, but if you want anything slightly colourful they're a little expensive) and eventually went to Topps Tiles - this is where I'd seen the tiles I really liked (soft minty greeny blue).  We have quite a dark bathroom so I need to keep the colours light.  I hadn't been feeling the baby move in the previous couple of days much either, so after getting back home and resting for a couple of hours, I called the hospital (maternity assessment unit) to see if they wanted to see me, and indeed they did. So the hubby made his way home and we headed to the hospital, where we were from about 3pm until 7pm.  Long day!

Friday (12th)
I have absolutely no idea what I did this day :P

Saturday (13th)
After being in the assessment unit on Thursday, they wanted me to come in again on Sat morning to go on trace again - everything was fine, Squidge's heart rate was good and my blood pressure was low.  From there we went to the Range to get some picture frames for the artwork I'm doing for the nursery, then we went to Mothercare (just a few doors down) bought the cot mattress and had the car seat base fitted to the car.  After that, we headed to the inlaws briefly, and then back home to put up the shelves in the nursery (looking very cute).

Sunday (14th)
We spent the day sorting out the bags of stuff we had in the conservatory - there was stuff everywhere! I should have done a before and after pic really - but our dining table was covered in bags as was our floor - while the room may not be perfect, it's now back to being usable as a dining room, and a place Matilda loves to chill.

Monday (15th)
Blogging, blogging, blogging!  I managed to write 6 blog posts over the course of the day and evening, write a freelance post and re-save and upload my latest pregnancy vlog - a pretty productive day.  It was so amazing knowing that I wouldn't be in work for another 9 months of Monday's.  The weather was lovely, I had the conservatory doors open, it was just the most lovely and productive day, if only all Monday's were like that :)

Tuesday (16th)
To balance out how awesome Monday was, Tuesday was a rubbish day.  I had an appointment at the antenatal clinic and to see an anaesthetist.  The clinic appointment was fine, although they did say that depending on next weeks' scan, they might induce me as early as next week! EEK!  When I booked in to see the anaesthetist the previous week they didn't have any free appointments, but they said they'd fit me in.  As you can imagine, this didn't happen (it should have happened 4 weeks ago!) so they've booked me in for next week with the same scenario but an actual appointment to see someone.

I also managed to have run-ins with 3 big brands - firstly BT - we have a probably with our hub in that the wifi constantly goes down and disconnects.  I tweeted about it which started up a long conversation about it... but after my last call to BT I don't have it in me to call them again, unless they want me losing my temper again.

Then there's Three mobile - they called me to offer an early upgrade a few days ago, so I called them back to discuss it, and after me being put on hold for over 10 mins, they disconnected the call - then sent me a text to apologise for it and asking me to call them again - whatever happened to calling the customer back???  So, I decided to not upgrade early, I was far too annoyed to go through their call centres, being put on hold for indefinite amounts of time again, I have better things to do.

Then we had a McDonalds for dinner - it's a 15 min drive to the nearest one, so hubby went and got it for us, and when he got back to the house he realised they'd missed including the fries we'd paid for - I  mean, how hard is it to make sure what is in the bag is what someone has ordered? Useless staff... they *always* forget something, literally every time we order from them.

By this point I was feeling really fed up with everything that happened in the day, I just wanted to go to sleep, forget about the day and start fresh the next day.

Wednesday (17th)
Another busy day!  I travelled in with the hubby in the morning, went to Cafe Nero for breakfast (chai latte and fruit salad).  Then headed to Boots to get my lips colour matched, then went to the hairdressers to get my hair done one final time before the baby comes.  Then I had some lunch in Costa (skinny iced latte, fruit salad and an emmental & mushroom toastie) before heading to the Benefit blogger and PR event (for my other blog).  After that, I headed to Superdrug as I was given a gift card to review their services, so I had gel nails done, and then about 3:30 headed home feeling utterly knackered!

So that was my first week on maternity leave, it's been up and down, mostly up, and quite busy! What did you fill your time doing when you first went on maternity leave, before the baby turned up?


Don't forget to follow my blog with Bloglovin for regular updates :)

4 comments:

  1. as i was off sick for 6 weeks before my maternity started (i opted for early mat leave at 29 weeks) i did loads of customising and crafts for nursery and sorting through baby stuff and just getting myself better. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it would have been so lovely to have had longer at home, but I wanted to keep my full time wage coming in as late as possible - and in fairness, I have a job where I sit down all day so it wasn't too bad :D

      Delete
  2. I remember the first week of maternity leave being so happy, relaxed and excited, the best time ever! Enjoy the last few peaceful days before the baby arrives, it will never be the same :) Good luck!
    http://mummysbeautycorner.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an action packed week...don't forget to put those feet up too though, enjoy the rest while you can :) I remember being really excited to start my mat leave at 37+5 but the very day I began it I ended up in hospital with high blood pressure and spent the rest of the time before baby arrived in and out of the place!

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved