Saturday 7 June 2014

Pelvic floor exercises during pregnancy

pelvic floor exercises
For the first part of my pregnancy I didn't do any pelvic floor exercises, I'd heard about them but didn't think they were important so didn't give them much thought.

After reading up about it I realised  I really should be doing these, from what I've read they help with:
  • Bladder control - kind of essential when you have a baby pressing on it!
  • Control the feeling of being weighed down - this is something I've noticed, like a weight down low that I can really feel when I walk
  • Sneezing - ever had a teeny bit of wee escape when you do a big sneeze?  Yeah, pelvic floor exercises will help with that :)
  • Bumping uglies - yep, for those 'special moments' with your other half, having a weak pelvic floor can decrease sensation - so keeping those exercises up will leave you happier ;)

So, what is a pelvic floor exercise and how do you do it?
Basically, you suck everything in/up and hold it there.  But you need to do it without moving your legs, squeezing your bum or holding your breath, pretty much the same thing you do if you're desperate for a wee and really need to go.  Try to do 10 of these a day - I've been doing them first thing in the morning when I wake up, or last thing at night when I'm about to go to sleep - I just tighten everything 10 times and that's it.  You could it when sat on the sofa or on a hard surface like the floor.  Each time you do one of these, try to hold it for quite a few seconds (around 8).

So there you have it!  They're great to do if you're not pregnant (see bullet point 4!) and great if you are expecting a baby - so head off and get your 10 done!

Georgina :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. ive done these... god since before I can remember! ive always had a weak bladder, so I suppose ive done them by defult because ive had too! now I do them when im just sat at the laptop :) im not pregnant, I don't have a sex life, but I just do them!

    Catherine x

    beauty is in the eye of the beholder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do them! They also helped me recovery from stitches and helped the muscles heal faster afterwards. I do mine during feeds so I remember :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really poor in doing them in this pregnancy! I just keep forgetting!! Really need to remember to do them!! Thanks for the reminder... I know that everyone reading this post will be squeezing as they read :)
    Lianne | TheBrunetteSays...

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved