Monday 1 June 2015

Why we aren't buying plug socket covers

Why we won't be buying plug socket covers

When I was pregnant with Squidge, we talked about baby proofing and something Chris kept saying was that we didn't need to get covers for our plug sockets because they were already safe... I just put it to the back of my mind and thought 'we WILL be getting them'.

Well, as we're reaching the point where we need to actually baby proof it's something we've researched, and I've completely changed my decision, we most definitely won't be buying them.  I'll get to why, but basically it's much more dangerous to have them.

Back in the 1940's a female electrical engineer called Caroline Haslett designed the current sockets we use.  Her main goal was to design it so that children wouldn't be able to electrocute themselves by putting their fingers in the sockets.  She built a couple of safety features in - such as the holes being small enough so that a child cannot get their finger in far enough to reach anything bad, but just in case there are insulated shutters.  

The top pin on a plug opens up these shutters, that's why it's longer than the bottom pins of a plug. The problem with plug covers is that they can be manoeuvred so that only the top pin is plugged in, leaving the bottom holes open and live, so that if a child put something in those holes, they would be electrocuted - but this isn't possible with a standard plug (seriously - if you try and plug in upside down it won't happen!).

The UK has some of the safest plug sockets in the world, all thanks to Caroline Haslett.  I'm not saying 'don't buy plug covers', but certainly research it yourself and read the information available before you make your decision.  You can read more on it here.

We certainly won't be buying them.

Binky Linky

14 comments:

  1. That is very interesting to know....I never had the plug socket covers either and my girls are fine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting, we have plug socket covers, but I am certainly going to do some research about whether it's safer not too. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that's because the sockets are super safe :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes please do - don't take my word for it, please research it yourself like I did :) From what I've read, I certainly won't be getting them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that I saw this on facebook yesterday, we were automatically just going to buy the covers because that is what you do, they even have them in the waiting room at the Doctors! We had a look at the article you shared and have decided not to buy them now.

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life Wales

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh cool! I think the article makes some really good and valid points - considering that the sockets have built in safety making them one of the safest in the world - covers really are just a marketing thing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea... will definitely read more about it. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes please do have a look into it yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must admit I am a very lacadasical Mummy and I never bothered. Neither of my children were electrocuted. Mu two found fingers in mouths and other orifices of their own far more interesting than a plug socket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. We did buy the covers, but in all honesty we never used them..mainly as I forgot they were in the drawer! I never knew this and what a clever lady! :-) #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a couple in but mostly have not bothered - I read the same stuff about how safe UK sockets are & the problems there can be with the covers themselves. #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cardiff Mummy Says5 June 2015 at 23:34

    Really interesting post. Some of our plugs have them, others don't, but so far my children have not paid them that much attention. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had plug sockets in my last home, but since moving to our new home a few months ago we haven't. My girls were never interested in the plug sockets anyway, but it's good to know this. Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Plug socket covers are a must in our home great post thAnks for linking to the BINKYLINKY

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved