Sunday 24 August 2014

It's the small things

My homemade cupcakes with homemade butter frosting

Homemade peppermint cremes with dark chocolate

With the pregnancy and gestational diabetes, there's quite a few things I've had to cut out of my diet, most I've adjusted to just fine, but there's still a few treats I can't wait to be able to have again (assuming the diabetes goes when the baby is born).

A runny poached egg
Something I love in this world is a good poached egg on toast or a bagel.  Simple flavours, but if it's a good egg and cooked well, you don't get much better.

A bag of chips
Since being diabetic this is a bit of a no no.  I can still have potatoes but they really need to have a skin on for the extra fibre (new potatoes are perfect), and generally accompanied by some veg and no-carb loaded food.  I really love a good bag of chips with salt and vinegar, again, it's the simple foods I'm missing the most.

White rice
Brown rice can be ok, but it needs the hell cooked out of it, and even then, it's just not the same as well cooked basmati rice.  I used to cook a really nice meal - a vegetable biryani - with korma paste, quorn pieces fried in some of that sauce, basmati rice, fresh coriander, sliced almonds and sultanas - it's just a no-no for now since it's full of sugary carbs, but it's one of my favourite meals and so tasty.

Cake & baking
While I don't eat a lot of cake, I do miss baking and being able to sample my creations.  One of my favourite things to cook is a Jamie Oliver recipe of chunky shortbread.  Something I have to avoid while diabetic, yeah I could substitute the sugar for sweetener, but that's not ideal and it just wouldn't taste the same.  I also really miss a good slice of good carrot cake, one of my all time favourites.

Did you know I've started doing pregnancy vlogs on YouTube too?  I've had a channel longer than I've been blogging (nearly 3 years now), why not check it out?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved