Wednesday 28 January 2015

6 things they don't tell you about becoming a parent

6 Things they don't tell you about becoming a parent

1.  Those fears about poop, saliva, snot etc, don't matter
I'm pretty horrid at dealing with saliva (barf), poop, snot, things like that - I used to work in operating theatres and have dry heaved over a waking patient when they took the tube out of their throat and saw the saliva... but with Squidge, it just doesn't matter - I can even get poop on my hand and be ok with it, never thought I'd see the day!

2.  You'll cope better than you expect without sleep
Before having a baby, it's hard to imagine how you'll cope on 3 hrs sleep a night, but you do - it's pretty remarkable!  Before Squidge slept through the night I'd get about 3 hrs, and I wouldn't nap in the day, but I managed to function without being a complete and utter zombie - although, there was that occasion that I put a black bin bag in the dishwasher instead of a tablet... true story.

3.  Nothing can prepare you for the love...
Everyone says it, but it's true, nothing can prepare you for the overwhelming love you'll feel for your little one, it's such a pure love, and nothing they do will ever shake that.  It's so overwhelming that in the early days after they've been born, you might well find yourself crying with happiness at at being so overwhelmed that they're in your life.

4.  Think you have no free time now? Ha!
It's funny, before we had Squidge we actually thought we had no free time... (insert laughter here), it's amazing how much of your time becomes dedicated to your baby - all of it pretty much, and that's ok, you don't begrudge it at all, you just miss some of your old hobbies, but if they're really important to you, you'll find time for them, whether that's when the baby is sleeping, or after coercing someone to look after the baby for a few hours/day.

5.  Celebrating strange things
Typically, before being a parent you might celebrate birthday's, valentines, you know, normal stuff, but when you have a baby, you'll start celebrating things like a nice big burp after a bottle, or a poop after a couple of poop free days - I've literally yelled 'YAY he's pooping!' - yeah you'll celebrate normal things too like when they first smile, but you'll breath a sigh of relief with poops and burps, especially if they're colicy or constipated.

6.  Face full of pee
If you have a boy, it's almost a foregone conclusion that at some point, he's going to pee on his face and then cry... it's typically as soon as you've removed the old nappy and just before you put the new clean nappy on - pro tip: keep a baby wipe out and when you whip off the old nappy, chuck the baby wipe over his bits to stop this happening :)  Oh, you'll probably get pee on your face at some point too - maybe even poop if you're really lucky.

7 comments:

  1. Great post! I totally agree with everything that you said!


    My little man is 2 now, so this brought back a lot of memories from the early days. It also brought on a lot of excitement as my next little one will be here within the next few weeks! Definitely put a smile on my face.


    Thanks for posting!


    Zoe
    Beautifinous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good to know that I will hopefully cope ok without much sleep, its one of the things that's really worrying me. I am useless without a good nights sleep. Great post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a girl, there is pee all over the changing mat which then leaks onto whatever you've put on and soaks all her pretty outfits that you spent hours picking to then dump her in a sleepsuit (true story). All very true :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Zoe :) Oh so exciting, congratulations!!!! Do you know what you're having?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww - yeah I guess it's less obvious when a girl pee's, especially if they're not bursting :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will don't you worry :) Yeah you'll feel exhausted, but you'll have a little baby that you won't be able to stop staring at and cuddling, making it all worth while :) Yeah I'm a 10-hour a night person (when left to sleep) so it's been a bit of a shock, but yeah you'll cope just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's for the baby9 February 2015 at 08:07

    This made me laugh. The sleep thing is so true. I've had people stare in disbelief that I've had one-and-a-half hour's sleep the night before and am still (sort of) sane and standing. I'm sure they thought I was exaggerating. You do strangely cope though! X

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved