Tuesday 13 January 2015

My favourite Netflix shows

Inspired by the 'Top 10 shows to watch on Netflix in the Winter' post the lovely Chantelle over at two hearts, one roof wrote, I thought I'd join in and talk about what I'm watching on Netflix at the moment.

LILYHAMMER
Lilyhammer

This is my favourite series to watch on there right now, by far.  It stars Steven Van Zandt (Silvio Dante from The Sopranos) as a member of the mafia taking refuge in Lilyhammer, Norway after 'snitching' on his colleagues back in America.  There's lots of subtitles but don't let that put you off, as despite that it's really easy to follow.  It's packed with lots of laughs and some crazy story lines, with random characters coming and going within a couple of episodes making it pretty fast paced.  

There's currently 3 seasons of it available on Netflix, I'm half way through season 2 and can't wait to see the rest :)

THE KILLING
The Killing

I started watching this when it was on C4, but for one reason for another I stopped watching it.  Well, when I signed up to Netflix I saw they were all on there and picked up where I left off, and I'm so glad I did.  The first series is all about a murder, I won't go into too much detail as I don't want to spoil it for you, but the second series also covers the same murder.  I think this is why I stopped watching it, I was a little too impatient, but when I went back to it I loved it, and it was nice to finally have some closure.  The rest of series 2, and then series 3 are different from the rest, they're faster paced.  

I'm sad that they didn't film more, but the 3 series they have are great and worth a watch if you like dark, moody crime dramas.

BREAKING BAD
Breaking bad

This might seem like an obvious pick, since it's so hyped.  I actually purposely didn't watch it for a long time because of the hype, but I'm so glad I did.  It's a great, captivating series about a high school chemistry teacher who gets diagnosed with terminal cancer.  Feeling like he has no option, he takes up cooking crystal meth.  Seeing as he's a chemistry teacher, he's seems like the perfect person to create the best meth around.

It's action packed and full of gasp-making scenes and episodes.  If you're anything like me you'll end up hating his wife in it (so annoying!), you'll start off feeling sorry for him (Walter) and end up thinking he's a complete d**k, and you'll feel sorry for Jessie.  But I don't want to give too much away, the plot I've outlined above really is only the introductory plot.  Give it a watch, you won't regret it :)

ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK
Orange is the new black

For me this show was a bit of a slow burner.  I started watching it as there was so much chatter about it on Twitter.  I thought it was watchable, but it didn't really engross me.  Then I realised I'd watched both series 1&2 and was looking for series 3, clearly I'd enjoyed watching it more than I thought I did!  It stars a character called Piper.  In a previous life (when she was younger) she'd fallen for a woman called Alex who was a bit of a drug smuggler.  All doey-eyed, Piper, on one occasion, smuggles drugs for her.  Years later it goes to trial and she has to serve her time, this is pretty much where the show starts (minus episode 1).  

It's actually very watchable and entertaining :)

If you only watch one of these series, I'd urge you to watch Lilyhammer, yeah Breaking Bad is awesome too, but Lilyhammer feels like a hidden gem, I'm surprised I don't see it talked about more, it's entertaining, funny, violent (not in a Tarantino way) and well written.

7 comments:

  1. Hannah Latoya Bond13 January 2015 at 19:04

    I've never used Netflix before, think I might try it out, looks like they have a good choice on there x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have to check Breaking Bad out, so many people say its good. I go on maternity leave on the 6th march which is 4 weeks before littler girl is due. I want to make the of sitting around while I can. haha. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you should, it's great value :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh do it! It's SUCH a great series, really, really well written :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mellissa Williams15 January 2015 at 12:18

    I love Breaking Bad. Have you seen American Horror - I really enjoyed that too.

    www.thediaryofajewellerylover.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I need to watch that :) I might start watching Gossip Girl too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen American Horror Story Coven - that was good :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved