Friday 16 January 2015

Our routine #1

Squidge cooing and cuddling his comforter
I thought I'd start up a little series about our routine, now that we finally have one.  Whenever we establish a new routine, I'll write up a new post.

8am (give or take an hour)
This is about the time Squidge wakes up, well, any time between 7-9am.  After I've had a quick wash, I take him into the nursery (after getting a few smiles in his moses basket) and change his nappy, after that I warm up a bottle and by about 8:30 he's having breakfast.  After this, he has a cuddle and usually sleeps for 2-3 hours, unless he's just having one-of-those days.

Midday
Around now he wakes up needing his next feed.  This is typically when  I change his nappy and warm a bottle for him, and bath him.  For some reason I've got into the habit of bathing him around midday before his feed.  After this bottle he has a little cuddle, and then we have some fun.  I'll either get out his Mamas & Papas snug and activity centre and he'll sit in that for a few mins (until he starts crying) or I'll get his Fisher Price Rainforest play gym out.  He'll be on this anything from 10 mins to about half hour, with a couple mins of tummy time too.  Then, I'll cuddle him to sleep and he'll get maybe an hour before his next feed is due.

3pm
Time for nappy change and a bottle.  After this one we have a cuddle and again, something fun, maybe the chair bouncer this time.  He really likes his bouncer at the moment, so it's a great opportunity for me to wash his bottles and make up some more as he gets strapped into his bouncer. He loves cooing at the toys that dangle on the bridge over the bouncer and smiling at them (seriously cute).  Then, another nap for an hour or so before the next feed.

6pm - or as soon as we sit down for dinner...
Feed and nappy change.  Cuddles with Daddy, chat and all sorts of baby-Daddy fun :)  Then another little nap.

9pm - or slightly earlier depending on timings of other feeds
Bed time!  I warm up a bottle for him, take him upstairs and change his nappy in a low light, the whole time not speaking to him, but I'm only human so when he smiles at me, I smile right back :)
Then we sit on the bed and I feed him his last bottle of the day, in the dark with just the light from his nursery on so I can see his face to be able to feed him.  Again, I don't speak to him, just impart the odd kiss on his head, because I can't help myself.  He has a cuddle to send him to sleep, then I put him in his moses basket.  He might need 1-2 more cuddles before he'll settle, but we're generally done anytime between 9-10 (usually closer to 9 as his feeds often fall slightly earlier).  Then he'll pretty much sleep through the night <-- I really didn't want to type that, I feel that now I've put it in writing, he'll start waking up for night feeds again :P

Other tidbits

  • Each feed he's having about 5oz, and all in one sitting, with a bit burp at the end
  • He's been sleeping through the night since he was about 7 weeks old
  • When he naps in the day, it's in his poddle pod (pictured)
  • He feeds every 3 hours
  • He's typically pooping once a day now

I'm pretty happy with this routine, we both know it well now.  Some days he'll just be really grizzly and fussy so it goes out of the window (other than the feeds/nappy changes etc), some days he just wants/needs to be cuddled all day otherwise he cries and cries.  I wonder how his routine differs from other babies :)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a you have a great routine going. I think its great, it also helps you plan your day easier. Lets hope he stays asleep through the night. lol. xx

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved