Thursday 18 December 2014

10 week baby update

It's hard to believe Squidge is 10 weeks old, 10 weeks!  I can't believe how quickly it's going, it's like he's doing something new every day.  With that in mind, this is a very long post, so I'll crack on :)

Tummy time
Squidge with his nanny
Squidge with nanny

We've been trying to give Squidge as much tummy time as we can, his head is... well, it's mishapen with a big flat spot at the back.  The Dr isn't worried, she seems to think it'll fix itself, but we're trying to help by giving him tummy time on his play mat, and I'm using it as an excuse to cuddle him more on my chest/shoulder :)

Sleeping
Squidge sleeping in his moses basket
My little angel, fast asleep in his moses basket (which he's rapidly growing out of)

Going back about a week ago, we had spent 2 weeks being up with Squidge until 4-6am every night, he just wouldn't sleep when it was dark and we were slowly losing our sanity.  Although, the funniest occasion was when he kept us up until 5am.  We both then slept through the alarm the hubby had set (7am) for work and didn't wake up until after 10am!  When we looked over to Squidge, he was lying in his moses basket smiling his head off, the cutest thing ever.  We couldn't help but smile and giggle about it :)

Squidge punching Daddy in the face
Squidge punching Daddy in the face in bed :P

Well, after being utterly exhausted, we read up on what to do to fix his night and day that seemed to be the wrong way around and this is what we did.  His last feed of the evening (around 10pm), I take him upstairs and feed him in the dark (we have a light on in the nursery that gives me enough light in our bedroom to see him to feed him).  I don't speak to him, I only feed him and when he rejects the bottle, I put him in his moses basket.  If he cries (not grizzles) I'll pick him up and continue to feed him, but if he grizzles and whines I leave him as sometimes he'll go off to sleep.

This seems to be working, not 100% but a vast improvement on what we were getting!  Now he'll sleep from about 11pm until about 12:30-1am, then wake for a feed, and go back to sleep about 2:30-3am until about 8am.  It's so hard not interacting with him when he's sat there smiling his head off at me though... I'll share a secret, I do smile back, and sometimes I'll kiss him on the head (I can't help myself!)... I'm terrible I know!

Developments

Squidge in his bouncer

He's doing all the things he should be and more, it's really amazing to see him develop.  He's smiling, giggling and cooing, and even starting to bear is own weight when I stand him up.  A couple of days ago after changing his nappy, I stood him up on the change mat/table and he stood up alone, my hands weren't really touching him, just there to grab him when he fell or wobbled.  It's funny, he can't really push himself up if he's on his tummy, but he can bear weight on his legs, lol.  It's still his smiles that get me the most, he has the most beautiful smile he really does.

He's also been loving his bouncer, now that he's quite active in kicking his little legs, he gets a bit of a bounce on, he likes looking at the little dangling animals too :)

Expressing
This is the sad part of the update... my milk supply is gone :(  I'd tried expressing more often, but the reality was I'd express 3 times in 3 hours and then I wouldn't get the chance again for the rest of the day.  Each express I was lucky if I'd get 5-10ml, so it's now been a week since I've expressed, which makes me really sad :(  I think the hubby is a bit disappointed in me for stopping too... I really feel like I've failed Squidge, I wanted to keep him having breast milk right up until 6 months.  I know it's an excuse, but I really was struggling to find the time to express, I feel like I've either been out of the house, or had visitors here a lot, and the time I've been alone and able to express, Squidge has been awake and needing my attention.

Out and about
Dyffryn House at Dyffryn Gardens

Daddy and Squidge at Dyffryn Gardens

Mummy and Squidge at Dyffryn Gardens
Mummy and Daddy with Squidge at Dyffryn Gardens Christmas craft fayre

Handmade tree ornaments from Dyffryn gardens
Handmade Christmas tree ornaments from Dyffryn Gardens (£2 each)

We haven't been too many places with Squidge as hubby has been super busy with uni work in the evenings and at weekends.  We've also had our boiler replaced as ours died, so we went a week without heating and hot water, not ideal with a new baby!  The hubby did manage to take us to Dyffryn Gardens last weekend though, to their Christmas craft fayre (with carol singers!).  We're members of the National Trust so we've been trying to head to NT places to take advantage of our membership (that's why we bought it, so we could visit places for free with Squidge over his first year).

Cooking & Shopping
Reeces Kisses - peanut butter and milk chocolate

Uncooked Ferrero Rocher brownies

Cooked Ferrero Rocher brownies

On a side note, I've also been experimenting in the kitchen!  I'd seen on Pinterest an image of Ferrero Rocher brownies, and considering they're the hubby's fav chocolate, I thought I'd give them a go - and they turned out fab!  I also made what I would call, Reeces Kisses, balls(ish) of crunchy peanut butter, covered in a blob of melted chocolate, which is then put in the fridge to set, super tasty!

Tassimo Costa Caramel latte
I've dug out the Tassimo machine and stocked up on t-discs, so I'm enjoying Costa lattes at home :) 

Festive arrangement from Aldi
I picked these up in Aldi, I was replacing some flowers and thought I'd opt for something more festive, and that would last longer :)

So that's my update, sorry it's been such a long one! Maybe I should go back to weekly updates?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved