Friday 24 October 2014

Being a mummy - Week 2

Squidge, 18 days old
17 days old - lying on the bed next to me at hospital, sleeping like a little angel :)

I'm sorry I've been so quiet this past week, it's been a bit chaotic and I've been back in hospital, I'll tell you all about it.  Squidge has been great (as usual), apart from the odd night of badly-timed cluster feeding.

Visitors
I don't know what it's like for most new-parents, I had visions in my head of having people visiting on a daily basis, so in preparation I stocked up on biscuits, tea and coffee ready for Squidge's arrival. The reality - we actually haven't had that many visitors, maybe a couple each week - it's been mostly just the 3 of us chilling at home with hubby and I learning about Squidge.  Needless to say, the biscuits were slowly consumed by us instead!

Health issues
Over the last week I've begun to feel quite poorly, feeling sick in general, having a bit of a temp, flu-like symptoms etc, as well as sharp pains in my lower abdomen, and my 'lady-parts' were getting more sore.  Then on 19th Oct (Sunday night), I started getting really bad period-type pains, I got up to go to bed and pop to the loo, and saw my blood loss had increased, and with that I passed a massive blood clot (think the size of a beer mat).  So I called the midwife ward who asked me to come straight in to their assessment unit.  I was there from 1:30 am until 6am - examined by a Dr, had bloods taken and a swab.  They decided that I have an infection and sent me on my way with a new 7-day course of Co-amoxiclav (antibiotics).

Fast-forward 3 days to the 22nd (Weds).  It's the afternoon, we've just bathed Squidge, I pop to the loo and the same thing happens again, blood loss and a large clot (about a third of the size of the last one).  So I called the assessment unit again and they asked me to go in.  Off the three of us headed. We had a little wait when I got there but not too long (about half hour).  They took my stats and my temperature was a little high (37.8 I think) - that combined with my pains and clot was enough to get me admitted for IV antibiotics.  Luckily they were able to get me a room, not just a bed on a ward, and the room had a double bed, which meant the hubby and Squidge could stay with me :)

Lunchtime the next day I had an ultrasound scan (thought I was done with these!) to check my uterus for RPOC (retained products of conception - i.e. placenta/membrane etc).  The good news was everything was as it should be, my uterus is lumpy (how it should be after giving birth, apparently!), my endometrium is 8mm (standard?) but they did see another clot - so I'm expecting to pass another one soon.  By 6pm I was discharged and sent home, boy was it good to be home, and sleep in my own bed again - I joke though, sleep, haha - Squidge was cluster feeding every hour, so I didn't get much sleep!

Awake time
Squidge has started being 'awake' between some of his feeds, typically between about 6-8/9 in the evening - he's just there, eyes open taking in the world :)  It's lovely, and each day he seems to make new cute baby sounds, only yesterday he did a really cute baby sigh - I'm loving all the firsts :)

The Highs
  • All of his firsts - his cute baby sounds
  • His weight gain - now 7lbs 7oz (he was 6lbs 9oz when born 18 days ago)
  • Getting discharged from hospital
  • Spending quality time with the hubby and Squidge - very precious moments

The Lows
  • Being admitted to hospital and feeling poorly in general
  • Some VERY poopy nappies, lol
  • Squidge crying his eyes out when he was hungry and we didn't have any bottles steralised ready :(
Georgina <3
Don't forget to follow my blog with Bloglovin for regular updates :)

2 comments:

  1. I think people are worried about visiting when you have a new baby, they feel you should have some time to yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope ur feeling much better now. sounds like you have had a rough week

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved