Monday 13 July 2015

The back to work blues

Back to work blues

So it's the eve before going back to work, and to be completely and utterly honest, I feel like shit about it.  I know it's always going to be hard, for everyone, but today I had to get Squidge an emergency Drs appointment, he just wasn't well.  He'd been crying and crying and was running a temperature.  He'd slept terribly last night, and didn't properly settle until just after midnight, then waking up at 3am again needing cuddles.

After rushing him to the Drs and them having a good look at him, it seems he has an ear infection and a sore throat :(  I've never seen him so poorly, he's had 2 colds so far, and he was poorly with them but nothing like this.

He's the kind of baby that's always on the move, whether it's climbing the stairs (yep, that's a thing now!), crawling around the house, or using me as a climbing frame.  But today, all he wanted (all day) was to be cuddled.  He had a few tiny moments where he'd sit and play with his toys, and even climbed the stairs, but for 90% of the day, he was being cuddled and crying.  And by 'crying'  I mean screaming his little lungs out.

Thanks to the sore throat and ear infection, he's also lost almost all of his appetite... he's grazed on nibbles today and barely touched his bottles, not ideal when you're on a mission to fatten him up and get his little creases back.

He's also learned what the Calpol syringe is, and when he see's it he screams, turns his head away and tries to clamp his mouth shut :(  So getting medicine in him is a horrendous task.  We have tried the Munchkin medicine dummy (which I tried again today) but as soon as he tastes the Calpol he spits out the dummy.  We would have tried a spoon too, but he's been refusing food, let alone this.

Before going to bed, he spent 15 mins lying against me with his head draped on my shoulder, while quietly crying, it was heart breaking... enough to put me in floods of tears.  I wish we could afford for me to take a career break and look after him 24/7 until he goes to School, but the reality just isn't there.  So we're going to make the most of it, and throw ourselves into our new routine.  Squidge will love spending all the extra time with his grandparents, we're so incredibly lucky to have them.

I know once I get tomorrow over with I'll feel better, but right now all I want to do is spend tomorrow cuddling him and making him feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved