Monday 9 February 2015

How did you announce your pregnancy?

Pregnancy announcement

Everyone has their own way of doing it, whether a simple Facebook status update, or something much more creative.

One of my favourites I saw was using a professional photographer.  The couple hadn't long been married, and the wife of the couple knew she was pregnant but wanted a creative way to tell her hubby - so they hired their wedding photographer for some 'thank you card' photo's to be taken. During the shoot, the photographer got them to write a message on a big piece of card (something nice about each other), stand back to back and then turn around to reveal what was on the card - when they turned around, the hubby read 'I'm pregnant!' - the moment was captured on film, and they used that to annouce their happy news, how wonderful :)

We didn't do anything as creative as that, not even a little bit creative!  When I found out, I was about 6 weeks pregnant, I'll never forget that night.  I'd come back from the Drs after going there from a long bout of problems (flu, chest infection, asthma problems) - I mentioned to the Dr that I wondered if I might be suffering from anxiety after the death of my brother - I mentioned it had affected my periods and that I could tell my body was trying to 'come on' (achy lower back, achy boobs etc).  She promptly told me to do a pregnancy test.  So off I trotted to Sainsburys to buy their cheapest test, just to prove the Dr wrong.  Got home, went straight upstairs and did the test.  While I was waiting those 3 mins, I washed my hands, emptied the bin and had a quick clean in there, with it face down the whole time.

Positive pregnancy test

Then I sat on the loo (with the lid down) and turned the test over - I couldn't believe my eyes! It had a big dark blue plus on it, confused as I'd never seen this result, I checked the guide inside to see what that meant, and there it was in big letters 'Pregnant'! Gleefully excited, scared and wanting to jump for joy, I left the light on and everything as it was, ran downstairs to the hubby holding the test out infront of me exclaiming 'I'm pregnant!!!!!!' - His response was great, looking completely shocked he said 'What....?' - he saw the test and was like 'OMG!', then we hugged and spent the rest of the night in disbelief - I still didn't really believe the test as it was a cheap £3 one, so in the next morning I did the other test as it was a pair, and it didn't work.  We went off to the Drs and he said the first test would definitely have been right.  I was promptly booked in to see a midwife and start my pregnancy journey.

That night we met up with our close friends to tell them the good news in person, after that we drove over to the hubby's parents to tell them, and I called my Dad and Step Dad.  It wasn't until I was 11ish weeks pregnant that I announced it on Facebook (pic at the top of the page - at my 12 week dating scan), and started this blog with an announcement post.

Since then I've written lots of post to try and help other expectant mummies and daddies, including posts like my newborn essentials guide and 6 things they don't tell you about becoming a parent.

One of the difficult things to navigate when you're pregnant is knowing what clothes you need to buy for your baby, and where good places are to get them from - I've always raved about Asda, Zara and Debenhams for great quality - but M&S have also launched a new dedicated baby section.  We had some M&S baby clothes for Christmas from my Aunt - the quality is really lovely and the designs/patterns are lovely too - slightly different from the typical ones you see in most supermarkets, and not too expensive.

For baby #2 (which we hope will be joining us in the next couple of years), I'm definitely going to get more creative and try to involve Squidge some how, although I'm not quite sure how yet :)

Follow me on
Google Plus | Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest



*Collaborative post

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading about the photo shoot announcement, so sweet though I could not have kept it quiet from Spencer and planned that, I was like a bottle of pop.

    We did a stupid amount of pregnancy tests in the time that we were trying and then a stupid amount again when we had actually conceived because we didn't believe it, we bought cheap tests first and the line was so faint we really weren't sure so went and bought a load of expensive ones. I don't think Spencer believed it until after we had the scan, I remember him being so disappointed that the Dr just took that we were pregnant and didn't actually do a test, bless him.

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great idea isn't it :) A special moment to capture, telling the Daddy, and then to share to announce it to others :)


    Yeah we were the same - we expected the Drs to do a test, thought it was strange they trusted a cheap £3 test! I don't think I really believed it until I'd had several scans, could feel him moving around loads and was visibly pregnant - only then did I really believe there was a baby there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cardiff Mummy Says11 February 2015 at 20:24

    I love that story about the couple and the photographer. How beautiful. No exciting announcement from us really - we just told people face-to-face. After a miscarriage, I felt quite anxious and was too scared to do anything too big or crazy or even to put it on Facebook. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. x

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved